Thursday, August 21, 2008

School Days

Hello again World!

I'm sorry for my negligence with posting but life has been insane lately.  Believe it or not school has started again and I am back to the grind that all you normal working people do everyday.  Man, it's tough!  I've discovered in my four years as a professional ( I use that term loosely) that the educational field definitely has it pro's and con's.  The con's being you make less than a fast food worker and that sometimes you get no R-E-S-P-E-C-T!

However, I've found the pro's far outweigh the con's.  One major pro is summer's off which I've just experienced with complete enjoyment.  However, there are some insane people around our nation who are pushing for year round schools.  I think we commonly call them parents and they must be stopped!  I'm just joking by the way if any of you are parents who love the whole year-round school thing.  I think it's a great idea (insert gag here)!

I was just reminded of another major pro today.  I've been meeting all my new kids!  For those of you who don't know I changed school districts when we moved which means I had to leave the autism units I was working with.  This nearly broke my heart (literally...I'm not kidding) but luckily I've been meeting my new kids this week and I know they are going to soon out shadow all my old kids that I still miss so much.

I spent some time in the UEI unit today (translation into English....a classroom for kids who have disabilities like autism and down's syndrome).  While they are all very adorable and all equally good at ripping things off the walls (this would be funny if you've ever spent time in an autism classroom if not insert fake laughter here)  I've already picked a favorite among them.  Today Gavin (my favorite) and I danced up a storm to Rafi.  For those of you who don't have kids yet trust me....you will come to know and love Rafi (or hate....depends on your tastes).  Just getting to know the kids reminded me why I chose this profession in the first place.  It really is a magical thing to be involved with these little guys.  Especially when they look at the world in a completely different way than your typical child.  Some days its also very magical to send them home to their parents...but mostly I'm just so grateful to be doing what I love each and every day.

I can already see that this year is going to be great!  I'm working with a great staff at both schools and the kids really seem wonderful.  One additional bonus is that my offices have no windows for kids to climb out of.  And if your wondering and haven't heard the story...yes, I had a student climb out my window last year.  Life really is an adventure and I'm so glad to be living it here in Nebo School District.

No comments:

Post a Comment