Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ode to snow

Has anyone else noticed that some of the things we love most in life can also be our greatest annoyance.  I have been feeling that way a lot lately.  While this may shock some of you who know about my love of winter I have recently developed a real hatred for snow.  There I said it, it's out...now I can move on.

As I say this I am having an insane vision of Frosty frowning at me but I can't help it.  As a child I would wait for winter all year.  I loved the first snow fall, I loved making snow angels, and throwing snowballs.  And let's not forget the ever popular childhood past time of eating snow.  However, some very crucial things have changed since those carefree days.  Now I have to drive in the mess.  Without fail I always get stuck in front of a huge SUV or truck that is trying to eat my poor little Ford Focus for lunch.  For those of you with big cars...just remember, economy sized vehicles typically don't have four wheel drive nor are we as heavy as you are.  Yes, its true I laughed at you not so long ago when gas prices were high and I could fill my car for half what you spent on your gas guzzler.  When I saw Hummers go by I would nearly go into hysterics I was laughing so hard.  But now I suppose its payback time.  What I wouldn't give to be driving a hummer.  I'm sick of pushing my car out of snowdrifts, sliding all over the roads, and the maniacs who still want to go 80 miles an hour.

Another important factor in my recent change of heart has to do with the difference between Washington and Utah.  Where I grew up in Washington state people liked work a whole lot less than they do here.  It was an unspoken agreement.  Kids didn't like school and the teacher's weren't all that crazy about it either.  So, if we had a little snow and it was "unsafe" school was canceled.  Oh how I loved those days.  Listening to the radio and hearing those beautiful words, "School is canceled for Sunnyside School District".  There is no joy in my childhood that even compares with snow days except for Christmas morning.  I can only compare it now to how I feel when someone cooks for me and cleans up the dishes afterwards.  Everything tastes better, the light seems brighter, and your pants seem to fit better.  All because of this wonderful unexpected gift that came your way.  Well, apparently people in Utah love to work, work, work!  5,000 car pile up on the freeway---GET TO WORK!!  Children lost in the snow drift---NO WORRIES THERE ARE PLENTLY MORE OF THEN SO GET TO WORK!  School is never canceled.  What is wrong with people here?

Am I exaggerating...perhaps!  But my feet are still completely frozen and wet and there is nothing I hate more than wet socks.  It also took me a full hour to get to work during which time I was almost eaten by the vicious GMC truck behind me.  Perhaps tomorrow I will be calmer and able to repair my fragile relationship with snow but for now I'm just grateful to be inside where it can't get me.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I love the snow, but have learned to hate driving in it. Washington is a wonderful place when it comes to snow. It snows, and I can sit home and enjoy it without having to drive in it. My work was closed for 5 or 6 days because of the snow. We left on vacation after 3 of those days. Olympia had a total of 18" of snow. It was pretty crazy here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kill me! So funny because I am having that same love/hate relationship with snow right now.
    I spent 2 wonderful weeks in California without snow. Now I am back and I have had to shovel my driveway and over 80 feet of side walk TWICE today! Otherwise the middle schoolers will write nasty things in the snow for me.
    Both times RIGHT as I was finishing up, honestly the last 5 min, the snow would start AGAIN! give me a break. I liked it last year when I could use being pregnant as an excuse for not shoveling. I ialways rolled my eyes at Josh's complaints about the snow- it is so pretty and it seems a little less Christmasy without it. Well NO MORE! where is my blowdryer? my space heater? get them out baby! melt that snow.
    Anyway, if you haven't gathered, I am mad at snow right now too. But I will forgive it because we got a snowman kit for Christmas and I really want to use it. And my neighbor has been telling me all the fun things Grace can do to play in it.

    this is really long.

    I hope you liked my rant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny! And I totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete