Lately there's been a lot on mind, especially since our last stake conference (a big Mormon get together in case you don't know). I was so touched by the messages shared by our church leaders that I wanted to devote a little time to it in on our blog. For those of you who are not members of our church I promise I'm not trying to preach any specific doctrine but rather a way of being. What was said on Sunday really made me think about whether I am headed in the direction I really want to be in life.
There were messages about kindness and reserving judgement. It made me think about all those wonderful people in my life who are doing this already. To friends and family who have been kind examples and have true Christlike spirits, no matter what their religious affiliation, I just wanted to thank you for your example to me. I was talking with Aaron about this the other night and we both felt that there are so many around us who need our help. Sadly, I have a hard time slowing down enough to hear and do what Heavenly Father would want me to.
There was also a life changing talk given by Sister Dibbs (the Young Women's General President). She talked about how we spend so much of our lives seeking after what isn't real. We become fooled into believing we need the counterfeit things of life. For each of us the "counterfeit" is probably something different. The world shouts at us so loudly that we become distracted by things, the television, or whatever else is our own personal weakness. I find this to be so true in my own life. We spend our lives accumulating things or accomplishments, however, there is very little in this world that leads to true happiness. It is the work we do within our own families and among Heavenly Fathers other children that matters. This is what lasts! How I wish I didn't forget that so often.
Another recent experience cemented my desire to seek after what is real and lasting. A friend from earlier college days lost his life to cancer recently. He had battled it off and on during the time that I knew him but last I heard he had beat it. He wasn't any older than I am. When I heard the news I finally felt like I was "awake". Do you ever have those moments in which you remember what life is about? How you typically waste 23 1/2 hours a day and you don't want to continue doing that. How blessed I am to have a loving Heavenly Father who sends me these reminders when I get too distracted.
Sorry if this post was slightly depressing or even boring. I guess I just wanted to share my affirmation that life is so beautiful. It's beautiful in the tragedies and in the joys. Even the mundane can be enjoyed if we look at it with the right perspective.
No comments:
Post a Comment